Intro:

A scintillating account of my adventures in Nerddom!

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

LIScareer | Career Strategies for Librarians-Cataloginng

LIScareer Career Strategies for Librarians

I'm taking LIS 6711 (Organization of Knowledge) this semester, and to be honest, if you had asked me 20 min ago if I would ever consider becoming a cataloger, the answer most certainly would have been "NO!" However, after reading this article it just might be something I look into a little more. Firstly, it certainly isn't a bad idea in this job market to pursue jobs that noone else wants. But more than that, I really like the idea of doing some detective work to figure out how best to catalog an object. Murray makes cataloging sound like something a nerd like me could really get into. The part when he talks about having to spend time perusing the items in order to catalog them effectively sounds awesome. I already spend great swathes of time looking up people, places, and things I hear, read or see. Mention the name of an artist, and for the next three hours, I'm going to read web-bios, look up works, check out articles about the places they lived, perhaps read the bios of friends or enemies, learn about the regions they came from or the time period in which the lilved. The list frequently goes far beyond this, and more often than not I wind up reading about something and don't really remember how I got there. At times like these I love the "Back" arrow. Anyway, back to cataloging. My main point is that I think you should read this article, if you're at all interested in LIS. And it's certainly made me think about changing tack :)

No comments:

Post a Comment