Intro:

A scintillating account of my adventures in Nerddom!

Thursday, July 1, 2010

Wiki, wiki, wiki

Everyone has encountered Wikipedia at some time or another, so I've known about the general ideas behind wikis. As a tool, I do really like the idea that anyone can add to, edit, etc...it's a very cool collaborative/communal concept. I hadn't realized that places like libraries used wikis for communication among themselves and to provide info to their users. It makes perfect sense, but because I didn't know about, and hadn't really ever been directed to one before, I'm not sure how effective they are. I could see wikis being a good tool for something like the 2006 ALA convention. Having a central location where people from around the country can communicate about an event is great. Interoffice wikis could be very useful, too. If the library you work at has just implemented a new program, a wiki could be used to troubleshoot, give tips and pointers, and just overall help with the changeover. 

No comments:

Post a Comment